Ok, I know I said I was super busy and I am, but I kept walking past this today and just couldn't wait to share. I tried a new paint and I am super excited at how this turned out! I has that "Chippy Goodness" that we all love so much! Plus, once it was waxed, the finish is just beautiful. If you are looking for the chippy look, this paint is for you!
So what did I use?
Milk Paint has been around for hundreds of years. I would have to say I was familiar with the name as it was a name I had heard tossed around when I was little, but I had never personally used it until now.
I used a combo of colors to get the one you see here, but it was super easy to use and when used with a fan to speed the drying process, the chipping is to die for!
So here is the skinny! I used the following recipe to get this look:
- Wash the entire table with TSP-PF. This helps the paint adhere better, but not too good that it won't chip and peel like we want it too. I would assume if you skip this step, it's going to peel and chip even more.
- Old Fashioned Milk Paint: 1 Tablespoons of Slate, 3 Tablespoons of light cream and 4 Tablespoons of water
- Paint 1 coat and turn on a fan! As you speed the drying process it will begin to curl and peel even more than if it dried naturally.
- Once the first coat is completely dry, lighly sand to remove any loose pieces
- I applied a light second coat (I wanted the "non-chippy" areas to be opaque in color)
- Again, turn on the fan to dry it faster. It will still crack and peel, just not as much as it does with the fan.
- Then lightly sand all over
- Finish with 2 coats of wax. I happen to use only natural on this one, but you could use the dark wax too if you like
- Hand buff to a BEAUTIFUL soft luster
- I did not use the Extra-Bond on this project, but I have another table (I will share later), that I plan to use that on. I am excited to see how that turns out!
I LOVE, the way this came out! It looks like it has been around for years and "naturally" chipped and peeled!
Good news is....Old Fashioned Milk Paint, is 100% VOC Free and chemically safe so it's friendly to you and the environment!
Happy Painting and Happy Holidays!